Highland Games in Scotland
A few of the Games that you can attend when staying at The Seelies
Attending the Highland Games in Scotland is an experience like no other. This traditional Scottish event has been taking place for centuries and is now a popular tourist attraction, drawing crowds from all over the world. The Highland Games are a celebration of Scottish culture and heritage, showcasing traditional sports, music, dance, and food.
Highland Games are a unique blend of sports, music, and culture and are held across Scotland between May and September.
If you’re planning a trip to Scotland, attending the Highland Games should be on your list of must-do activities. The games take place throughout Scotland, from small villages to large cities, and offer a unique insight into Scottish culture. You’ll have the opportunity to witness traditional sports such as caber tossing, tug-of-war, and hammer throwing, as well as Highland dancing and bagpipe competitions. The atmosphere is electric, with spectators cheering on their favourite competitors and enjoying the lively music and food stalls.
Our local games are the Newtonmore Highland Games which are held in August each year; and below we list some others, all within an hour’s drive of The Seelies:
- The Atholl Gathering, Blair Atholl – Sunday 26th May 2024
- Inverness Highland Games – 2024 Date TBC
- Tomintoul Highland Games – Saturday 20th July, 2024
- Newtonmore Highland Games – Saturday 3rd August, 2024
- Ballater Highland Games – Thursday 8th August, 2024
- Braemar Highland Games – Saturday 2nd September, 2023 & Saturday 7th September, 2024
- Pitlochry Highland Games – Saturday 9th September, 2023